Saturday, July 18, 2009

Zoom! Zoom! Zoom! And Away!

I will write about Jack's Prep-To-Show time with Jeff as the judge and follow that with our Wildcard Novice showing at the Deland show.

First things first. On Wednesday, July 15, we rented some time at ODTC with Jeff as our judge. It was a very nice showing. Jack was just a wee-bit skittish on the Stand-For-Exam due to some unexpected movement distraction by the judge. We did it again and Jack really stuck it! Bravo! Our Recall exercise was really fast and well executed. I was happy and Jack enjoyed the time in the ring.

Now, on to our Wildcard Novice run in Deland under Mr. Jeffrey Kern (not the same "Jeff" as our Wednesday judge). Jack and I were third in the ring. The judge asked which exercise we would like to receive no deductions on and we selected the Heel-On-Leash exercise. So, to start, we heeled to the corner where the judge said "Left Turn!" and Jack wanted to continue straight ahead instead of turning. I almost tripped over him, but we continued through a Fast and then to the next corner and another Left Turn. Jack kept forging ahead, but he did sit on the halt. We did our About Turn and then our Right Turn. Our Slow was good. Another About Turn and then we had our Figure-8 exercise. Not too bad there, but we had a few tight leashes throughout the exercise. Stand-For-Exam was next. Jack stood and then the judge came to him, whereupon Jack started wiggling around. It was time for the Heel-Off-Leash and when I looked at Jack, I saw his eyes go wide and he just started running around the ring. The zoomies continued until the judge asked if I would continue the exercise using the leash. So, after our second go around with the heeling on leash, it was time for the recall exercise. Well...that was truly beautiful! Jack did a perfect front and a swing-finish wonderfully! The judge said it was really nice to finish with a positive!

Our final time in the ring was for the Sits and Downs. We heeled into the ring wonderfully! I had my dog with me! We began with the One-Minute Sit. Almost to the end, Jack just laid down. OK, we can still perform the Three-Minute Down exercise. Right? He knows how to lay down. He just did it. But, alas, not today.

We were the strongest team today in Wildcard Novice. We held all the other teams up!

During our drive home, I had time to think about our performance. Despite the fact we didn't do well, I still love Jack and wouldn't trade him for any other dog. I know we have plenty of work to do to be able to show despite the distractions. Jack knows everything that is required for Novice. That has been proven in our Prep-To-Show classes. It just takes time.

And another thing. About my relationship with God. Sometimes I do the zoomies and God stands there, shakes His head, but He still loves me and wouldn't trade me for anyone. Should I not do the same for Jack?

So, we are still Walking in Obedience.

zoom...zoom...

No comments:

Post a Comment