Sunday, June 21, 2009

Class For A Beginner - ODTC style!

I had known about the Orlando Dog Training Club (ODTC) for a few years. I found the club when I was online searching for anything dog related. It was around the year 2000 when I stumbled upon ODTC. I went to some of the obedience trials and volunteered, on the spot, to be a steward for them. I found it to be very interesting, a real learning experience, and I wanted to know more. I went to a few meetings as a guest and totally felt at home.

And then time marched on. Memories faded and the daily grind of working for a living took over my life. Other life experiences happened. My mother passed away in 2003 and I underwent heart surgery in 2004. Enter 2006 as described in the opening post and then Jack and I became part of the ODTC life.

The Beginner Class was eye-opening for me. This was no PetsMart training. Far from it. We started at the beginning and began to learn how to be a team. At first I was there, with Jack, to learn basic obedience. We began re-learning basic commands like Sit, Down, Stay, and Come. There were other things we were learning. How to concentrate on each other. Name recognition. How to play together. Tug. A hungry dog is easier to teach and control than one that is full from dinner. Then I learned we could join ODTC and pay a reduced rate for classes. I was happy about that, and I know Jack really liked to train.

I learned the vocabulary of dog trainers:

  • Cookies were not people food. Cookies were what you used to help train your dog. The stinkier and the softer, the better. Liver, chicken, steak, hotdogs, or anything pre-packaged in the dogfood aisle. Whatever your dog responds to will work.
  • "Do you have a dog?" meant "Is your dog concentrating on you?"
  • Place wasn't a location where you live, as in "Come over to my place." Place meant a location to send your dog so you can answer the front door without having to hold back an excited dog. We are still trying to work on this one.

This class was considered elementary/junior-high-school work. Everything learned in the beginner class helps to teach your dog to be a good citizen. And it helps you too. You know, things like picking up after your dog. Courtesy to others with dogs. Courtesy to others without dogs. Courtesy to all. You learn to ask permission to pet someone's dog before petting the dog. You learn to keep a short leash on your dog to help control his frenzied curiousity and "Let's be friends!" attitude with other dogs and other people. You learn that not all people are dog people and not all dog people want your dog's attention where it shouldn't be.

Jack and I needed more than just one go-around with the Beginner class. We repeated the class. Sometimes that is necessary. I didn't feel confident enough to go to on to the next level of obedience -- what I call Canine High School, or Versatility One.

The Beginner class lays the foundation for future learning. And this learning is life-long, whether you continue the obedience, rally, agility, conformation, pet-therapy, tracking, or hunting paths. An obedient dog is a good citizen and shows you care about the feelings of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment